Journey Into... Discussion

of the unknown, mystery, space, science, fun, adventure, suspense, fantasy, terror...
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Welcome
Welcome to journeyinto

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Delusion #33 - Spotlight: Grand Moff Tarkin
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:47 am 
Site Admin

Rish and Marshal discuss the novel Tarkin by James Luceno, and go on to talk about all things about Wilhuff Tarkin, the cunning imperial strategist and founding leader of the Empire.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Delusion #33 - Spotlight: Grand Moff Tarkin
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:12 pm 

Cool episode guys ( despite the enormous drag-factor of me being on there ! ). I really want to read that Tarkin novel now.

You mentioned the Imperial meeting on the Death Star in 'A New Hope'. One of those guys actually survives the destruction of the Death Star. Cassio Tagge - who's the guy at the very start of the scene who says 'Until this battlestation is fully operational we are vulnerable'. In the Darth Vader graphic novels you find out that he had been off investigating the supposed Rebel base on Dantooine. After the destruction of the Death Star, the Emperor promotes him to Grand General, and places Vader under his command.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:02 am 

Good to know. I was having a discussion with my cousin about this last night--about which Imperials might have escaped and which ones perished--and I thought it might be fun to write a sketch where Chief Bast steps up to Tarkin . . .

BAST: We've analysed their attack, sir, and there is a danger. Should I have your ship standing by?

TARKIN: Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances.

Bast nods, starts to walk away, then leans in again.

BAST: Would, er, you mind, sir, if I had MY ship standing by then?

TARKIN: What? You have a ship?

BAST: It's a small ship, sir. Got it second hand. Really only a personal craft, room for two or three. Maybe a droid.

TARKIN: Chief, I'm really much too busy to talk about ship specifications.

BAST: Right. But . . . do I have your permission to leave?

TARKIN: Do as you must. But when the Rebel base is so much spacedust, I'll be looking for someone to drink tea with. Be an awful shame, Chief, if you weren't there.

BAST: Understood, sir. Thank you, sir.

Of course, as soon as Chief Bast grabs his best pal, a Stormtrooper he's taken a shine to, and a particularly useful insect droid, load up in the ship, and flee the Death Star, a Y-wing Fighter sees it escaping, decides to blow it up, and hence is away from the fighting when the TIEs destroy all the other Y-wings. Bast is dead . . . but hey, there's one Y-wing that survives the battle at the end.
Attachment:
Chief Basty 1.jpg
Chief Basty 1.jpg [ 231.99 KiB | Viewed 58 times ]

Last edited by Rish Outfield on Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:03 am 

Oh wait. Chief Bast is in "The Star Wars Holiday Special." Never mind.
Attachment:
Chief bast 2.jpg
Chief bast 2.jpg [ 66.47 KiB | Viewed 58 times ]

Last edited by Rish Outfield on Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:10 pm 

I love it !

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:41 am 
Site Admin

The Star Wars Holiday Special isn't considered cannon, is it?

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:40 pm 

Nowadays, it certainly isn't, what with Disney denouncing the entire expanded universe (which, I assume, includes the 20th Century animated shows, the Ewok movies, Star Tours, and the Holiday Special), but back in the day, I think they used to accept the cartoon in the Holiday Special as canon, since it had Hamill, Ford, Fisher, Daniels, and James Earl Jones in it, if only because it introduced a few unlucky viewers to Boba Fett.

I think we discussed that everything pre-Disney is now considered "Legends," and someone recently said (think it was Matt Martin of Lucasfilm) that the hand-drawn "Clone Wars" cartoon has been de-canonized, and only the CG "Clone Wars" REALLY happened.

Report this post