Journey Into... Discussion

of the unknown, mystery, space, science, fun, adventure, suspense, fantasy, terror...
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Welcome
Welcome to journeyinto

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: One Topic to Discuss Them All
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:14 am 

I don't have much connection to DUNE (the 1984 film), and I've never read the book. My buddy Jeff, however, absolutely adores the book (and the book series, and the movie), the way I love STAR WARS. In fact, Jeff named his son Duncan Idaho. So, over the years, he always tried to get me to watch DUNE with him, and I refused, having once seen the Extended Edition on the Disney Channel (of all places) and turnig it off after twenty minutes or so. The longer version, by the way, was put together a couple of years later, probably for television, adding in deleted scenes, and cutting out the Virginia Madsen narration on favor of a much longer narration that would appear from time to time over matte paintings, trying to make the audience understand just what the Fremin was going on.

So, finally as an adult, Jeff forced me to sit down with him and watch DUNE (the regular version) when it came out on DVD. He too kept pausing the film throughout to explain the worlds and the powers and the relationships and the terms and the plot, and after more than three hours, I had seen DUNE. But kids, no movie should require that kind of commentary or clift notes. I still see DUNE as a total failure, partly because it was so incomprehensible, but also because it didn't make me want to go out and read the book, which everybody who's read it has praised. So, there's that.

In other news . . . what was the deal with this episode? How many different recording sessions was it? Who edited it together? Are you going to do more episodes like this?

Report this post