Journey Into... Discussion

of the unknown, mystery, space, science, fun, adventure, suspense, fantasy, terror...
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Welcome
Welcome to journeyinto

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: One Topic to Discuss Them All
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:59 am 
Site Admin

For now, I think that I will simply create this topic to cover all of the SATP episode. If it evolves above that, so be it, but I don't think it will anytime soon.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: One Topic to Discuss Them All
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:06 pm 

This may be a silly question, but where do I find the Strewn Along the Path podcast?

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

You can find it at strewnalongthepath.blogspot.com. Here is a link. I haven't set up a feed yet.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:51 am 

I hate to be That Guy, Marshal, but it looks like you left out the h in "the" in the URL.

strewnalongtepath.blogspot.com

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:56 pm 
Site Admin

Rish Outfield wrote:
I hate to be That Guy, Marshal, but it looks like you left out the h in "the" in the URL.

strewnalongtepath.blogspot.com

Apparently, I need That Guy. I will have to fix that.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:14 pm 

Marshall, I enjoy both the outtakes and the discussion in this podcast. I look forward to hearing more.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:45 am 

This is a fun way to have outtakes and "other" topics for discussion. So far I've heard all of these too!

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:25 pm 

In listening to your "Scotty and the Scarecrow" episode, I started to feel bad, hearing how much work you put into the story, only to have it cast upon the cold, hard ground. The backstory, the true story, and your intentions all make the story you wrote feel different than just reading it blind (as I did). It was hard for me, especially at first, reading people's submissions and rejecting them, because I am a very empathetic person, and hate rejection myself. It was too easy to imagine what the sender would feel, if even the DUNESTEEF wouldn't take their work.

But I have developed more of a backbone (a vestigal one, at least) through the years, and if a story doesn't fit our needs, it may find a home elsewhere. If a story's not great now, a draft or two later, it may be. And it could be that my mood, or my attitude, or my tastes cause me to dislike a story that someone else would totally respond to. Of course, a really crappy story is a really crappy story, and I feel much less pity/remorse/sympathy there.

After listening to you talk--oh, and you mentioned Man-Thing, which makes me wonder if you saw the recent "Ultimate Spider-man" episode where they feature, not only Man-Thing, but Giant-Sized Man-Thing!!!--I went into the archives to see what I wrote about your submission, and whew, I wasn't one of those to blame for its rejection . . . when the avatar of vengeance comes calling.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:07 pm 
Site Admin

Rish Outfield wrote:
In listening to your "Scotty and the Scarecrow" episode, I started to feel bad, hearing how much work you put into the story, only to have it cast upon the cold, hard ground. The backstory, the true story, and your intentions all make the story you wrote feel different than just reading it blind (as I did).

But therin lies the problem, Rish. If I had written it better, you wouldn't have to know the historical accounts, or all of the thoughts and intents of my heart. It would have shown in the story. You would have felt it more. Part of it I blame on the word count because I did intentially avoid going into the detail I wanted to because I knew it would take too many words. But when it all comes down to it, I need to improve my ability to express the thought and intents of my heart onto the page. If I knew the story I wanted to tell didn't match up with the parameters for the contest, I should have started over with a new story, and saved this one for later. Although, there is nothing stopping me from attacking this one again now that the contest is over.

Rish Outfield wrote:
After listening to you talk...I went into the archives to see what I wrote about your submission, and whew, I wasn't one of those to blame for its rejection . . . when the avatar of vengeance comes calling.

Heh, yeah, I asked Nicole to provide me the feedback without the reviewer names attached. But I am one of those strange writers who wants to hear feedback and/or criticism of my work. I can't think of any other way to improve. Yes, not all criticism will be helpful, but I can usually glean some good clues as to how to improve.

Rish Outfield wrote:
--oh, and you mentioned Man-Thing, which makes me wonder if you saw the recent "Ultimate Spider-man" episode where they feature, not only Man-Thing, but Giant-Sized Man-Thing!!!--

I haven't seen it, but it sounds interesting.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:25 pm 

I really liked your story about Backlash. It was interesting and motivating and even though your love triangle was out of your comfort zone I thought you did it pretty well. It drew me into the world and made me want more.

Report this post