Journey Into... Discussion

of the unknown, mystery, space, science, fun, adventure, suspense, fantasy, terror...
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Welcome
Welcome to journeyinto

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: One Topic to Discuss Them All
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

Well thanks, spaceVulture, I am glad you liked it. It might be fun to take these charcters and do something else with them, Minus the X-men and such.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:54 pm 

I can't believe I heard a little of one of Rish's many poo tales. I knew all these years of listening to podcasts would finally pay off!

I really did like the "spontaneous" POEtry reading and hearing more POEtry is never a bad thing.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:35 pm 
Site Admin

Heh heh. Shall I pull the curtain back even further? I wrote that ending to "The Crappening" as a joke for Rish. He had asked on FB for submissions to Dunesteef for any stories with the title of "The Crappening". I thought about writing a complete story and submitting it to Dunesteef, but settled for just coming up with an ending for Rish to read for this "impromptu" poetry reading. He liked it.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:21 am 

I see. So my life is still not complete. *sigh* One day maybe I'll hear a Rish poo tale. It actually reminded me a bit of a Matthew Sanborn Smith "Beware the Hairy Mango" short.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:22 pm 

Re: the two episodes you did answering my viewer mail.

What you and I do with our solo podcasts is a solitary and, in a way, lonely thing. You think, you record, you edit, you publish, often without another soul in the room. Sending you questions and hearing your thought process in answering made me feel a part of your show, like I was there with you, like a caller on a radio call-in show. Sometimes they just go on and on about the unfairness of the NFL commissioner's decision, or the cancellation of their favorite show, or the Obama Administration, and then pause, wanting to know that somebody's listening. And maybe there are folks out there who don't care, who are fine to ramble on and simply hear themselves talk, but I'm not that way. So I appreciate you answering those questions; it made me feel like I know you better.

Plus, that Golden Earring song is so great, yet I had never noticed the little laser blast sounds in the middle there.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

Cool, man. It was fun answering your questions. I'm glad you liked the result.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:32 pm 

I concur. It was great to hear Marshal's answers to Rish's questions. Again, I'm behind on my comments and it's been a while since I heard this episode (I have this memory of being mentioned on the episode, but maybe that was a dream) so anyway, I do remember for sure that I enjoyed listening.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:32 am 

I liked the "Strewn Along the Path" episode where you drove and talked about THE WOMAN IN BLACK. I got the impression it didn't scare you as much as it scared me, but at least you dug it.

For my own show, I am often hesitant to put up episodes where I just talk about something, rather than present a story, 'cause I worry nobody likes those episodes. But I get so little response to the ones where I do post stories, I guess I should just do what I want. I'm sure a certain Mr. Latham can understand where I'm coming from.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:59 pm 

Okay - so about Dune.

I have a history with that book. I first became aware of it when I was 14 or so, and my Uncle ( who I idolized ) recommended it to me. I then tried reading it a number of times - but I had trouble understanding what was going on. I think I got about a fifth though the book, and then would have to start again. After about three times I gave up.

I think I was in my third year of University when someone in my flat rented the film, and we were all watching it. We were lucky to have a guy who knew ALL about the books with us, and were would pause the film now and again and he would tell us what was the big deal with the planet Ix, or why the Saudakar were so dangerous, or why you couldn't use lasguns when shields were so common. After than I tried reading the book again, and seriously loved it. I think Dune is up there in the top 5 books of all time for me. It's the sci-fi equivalent of Lord of the Rings.

The movie is a little flawed, but overall it's pretty good - considering the scope and depth of the source material. There are some awesome moments - the beginning with the Stage Three Navigator is fantastic, and I love the line 'The Bene Gesserit witch must leave.' a LOT. I really like the film score too.

Personally, I'd say you don't need to bother with the other books. The first one is EASILY the best. Dune Messiah is alright - and there are some cool things going on, but some pretty bad things happen to certain main characters. I tired reading Children of Dune - but gave up pretty quickly. But that's just me.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:05 am 
Site Admin

It's great to hear that I am not the only one who struggled with it at a young age. But at least you were attempting to read the book, not just watch the movie. It's also good to get feedback on the other Dune books. I've really never talked to anybody else who has read them.

Report this post