Journey Into... Discussion

of the unknown, mystery, space, science, fun, adventure, suspense, fantasy, terror...
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Welcome
Welcome to journeyinto

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Delusion #4 - Children: Our New Hope
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:29 am 
Site Admin

Marshal, Rish, and Big Anklevich talk about sharing Star Wars with our kids, and Disneyland

Big Anklevich has been the co-editor and co-host of The Dunesteef Audio Fiction Magazine for five years now. The Dunesteef is one of the most exciting, intricate, and interesting shows in the audio fiction podcast landscape, combining high-level fullcast audio productions of genre short stories with humorous banter between Big and his co-host Rish Outfield. The Dunesteef has been nominated for several Parsec awards over the past three years, capturing the Best Large Cast Story statuette in 2013. Big likes piƱa coladas, and getting caught in the rain.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Delusion #4 - Children: Our New Hope
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:35 pm 

You asked for topics or questions, and a few came to me listening to this particular episode.

You all mentioned that watching the pre-quels with children made it more enjoyable and empathetic, and you saw it through there eyes. When the 7th movie comes out, will you intentionally watch it with your children to re-create the experience?

My second question: What did you all do to "prepare for the prequels" ? What rituals or preparations will you do prior to the the 7th film? I know I watched all 3 movies before the 1st prequel came out, and kept that up throughout the experience.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Delusion #4 - Children: Our New Hope
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:46 am 

My nephews--which seem to be, for better or worse, the only children I'm ever going to have*--have never seen the Trilogy. We watched the "Rebels" series together from beginning to end, and they know the characters from that and from the various action figures they see pass through my hands (I have a big cardboard box of SW guys in the basement that, after we got flooded, I carted out and let the boys play with one time, and they still talk about it). I would like to sit them down and watch each of the Three films with them before FORCE AWAKENS comes out, but I'm not their parents. That sort of thing ought to be done by the parents, like when you first sit them down and talk over the truth about Santa Claus, or where babies come from, or what happened to Uncle Jake, or why you aren't circumcised but your brother is, or what the deal is with Aunt Elizabeth and her "special roommate," or explaining the National Debt. You know what I mean?

Well, maybe I'll still watch STAR WARS with them sometime and gauge their reactions to it. And there's always "Rebels" season two, which appears to be about to drop.

As far as rituals go, if you know of one where you can, perhaps through meditation, lower your expectations so that you can enjoy the new movie for what it is, rather than dislike it for whatever it is not, I'd appreciate it.

*There was a woman who had kids that I briefly considered pursuing, despite the fact that she had somebody else's kids and all the baggage that entails, but it didn't work out. And by that, I mean, she chose to entomb herself alive and have her slaves mummify her children next to her so they could accompany her to the afterlife.

Report this post